Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Last Homecoming (WoE #8 Philospher/Ballerina Challenge)

Write at the Merge this week gave us a Degas ballerina and the following quote:

It stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there’s service, there’s someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master.
—Ayn Rand

I was not inspired by ballet or dance or art this time, although that isn't surprising. Even as an Irish Ceili dancer, I was never that invested in dance. Ballet bores me. I respect the ballerinas who shape their bodies into instruments of expressive art, but I can't sit through the whole Nutcracker or Swan Lake. And therefore, art that features dancers does little for me.

What caught me this week was the quote itself. While I don't believe that all sacrifices fall under this train of thought, it did make me think of what a government could do to a people made too weak to fight against it. This thought led to our Founding Fathers and the American Revolution. Which led me to Thaddeus. We last saw him at the Battles of Concord and Lexington at the cusp of the Siege of Boston.

I offer the following in response: The Last Homecoming






The entire city was eerily quiet under the King’s Curfew as Thaddeus slipped around the sentry post. Tension gripped the air as if Boston awaited the order to breathe. Using the cover of night, Thaddeus climbed the elder tree and pried open the latch on his bedroom window of his childhood home.

The narrow bedchamber once housed three boys. After tonight, only his younger brother Adam would remain, sleeping the sound sleep of a care-free twelve-year-old boy. Thaddeus fought the urge to wake him to say good-bye. The less his brother knew while the Lobster-backs controlled Boston, the better. As he crept across the floor, his heart hammered in ears. His only thought was to remove evidence he existed at all, not that there was much. A cobbler’s son didn’t have the pistareens to spend on frivolous objects.

A rap at the house door gave him pause and he heard the familiar shuffle of his father’s steps cross from the parlor below him in response. “Mr. John White?”

“Er, yes, I-“

Hinges squealed as the sound of men pushed by his father’s voice. Thaddeus risked the landing outside his bedroom, settling into a shaft of darkness to spy on the proceedings. His heart spiked to his throat at the sight of Regulars – an officer with a small detail - crowding into the entryway. His father, still gripping a candle for light, grumbled objections to the inconsiderate visitors. “The hour is quite late, gentlemen.”

The officer removed his hat and ran a gloved hand through his hair. “I apologize, Mr. White. We have been delayed this e’en with many troubles that I will not bore you with at this time. His Majesty kindly provided more troops for General Gage, unfortunately, we are not yet in a position to house them. City records indicate that you have three bedrooms and a back parlor, yes?”

“Correct, Mr.?”

“Lieutenant Gregg,” he responded. “I have a need for these rooms, or any space you can sacrifice for the sake of the Crown. It should only be for a few days while we fortify Boston’s gates.”

“Of course, Lieutenant. I shall wake my son, there are three beds in his room. And we can use the back parlor for our purposes, if you would like the front rooms.”

“Very generous, my good man.”

“I only ask that your men endeavor to behave like gentlemen during their stay, for my daughter is of an impressionable age.”

Fury erupted within as Thaddeus retreated from the landing. How could his father be so blind, allowing abuses simply because they were asked of him? Would the Regulars compromise his sister's virtue? There was some discussion among the soldiers before Thaddeus heard boots on the staircase. He grabbed his satchel and raced for the open window, sliding from the sill to the tree with the precision of a boyhood’s muscle-memory; muscles that ached with the knowledge that this was the last homecoming of a once-loyal British subject.

12 comments:

  1. Your stories always make one want to read more. And this form of sacrifice, never passed through my mind, but yes it is indeed a great one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The quote put sacrifice as an act of slaves and masters, but I also wanted a piece that had layers of sacrifice. Thaddeus sacrifices his family life for the sake of their safety while his father sacrifices the privacy of his home for the sake of the Crown. I wonder what I would do in these circumstances.

      I hope you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. How difficult to be in that position, to watch your family members be put in a compromising position in the name of loyalty. I wonder what (if anything) poor Thaddeus will end up becoming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thaddeus will endure, of course, but he will not walk away from his cause unscathed. The rift he tears in his loyalist family, however, may never be repaired. It's certainly a hard decision for an 18-year-old to make.

      I hope you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  3. Three boys, you wrote. My first thought was where is the third? This is a tale filled with loss and tension. I feel sorry for Thaddeus, but also the siblings left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad you caught that. Yes, his older brother Robert is also gone. The Whites will be losing more than just their freedom with the Boston occupation.

      I hope you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. I always enjoy your historical pieces. You drop in just enough details to provide the flavor without overwhelming the reader with a dry history lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Funny you should say that. Someone recently told me that if I had been a history teacher, and specifically his history teacher, that he might've found history exciting. If I can do that with writing, it's quite the compliment. I'm happy I can introduce the period like a living, breathing thing instead of death warmed over.

      I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I second the desire to know about the 3rd boy. A whole story right there waiting to be told. I enjoyed this glimpse of history and the personal impact of the Crowns demands. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Like the famous "For sale: Baby shoes. Never worn." Sometimes it's not what is said, but what isn't. I wanted to show the Crown as imposing an inconvenience in a home that already feels broken, so I'm happy it read as well as it sounded in my thoughts.

      I'm thrilled you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I really liked the use of "sacrifice" in this story. It was a different take on it, but was well written. Certainly, patriotism during civil war is a very difficult sacrifice.

    Thaddeus is an interesting character. Is this part of a longer story? I hope so. I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, Thaddeus has been here before. You can check the label: The Patriot Born, if you're interested. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the storyline after.

      I'm happy you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your comments!

      Delete