Friday, January 20, 2012

Write On Edge: Salt Water Challenge

Once again, the challenge gives us 300 words. This time, the topic is inspired by a quote from Isak Dinesen (Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke) “The cure for anything is salt water….sweat, tears or the sea.”






I offer the following response: The Penitent



The ship pitched and rolled on the dicey waters while the wind pelted the bark with an unrelenting, briny slush. The captain ordered the yard to be braced for the coming storm. Men scurried on deck to secure loose articles and up aloft to adjust the sails. The crew, long seasoned by the dangers of the sea, manned their posts with precision.

With three days remaining on the voyage, the Rose Eleanor ran light in the draft as there was scant cargo aboard. She instead was providing transport for returning Crusaders, licking their wounds after the fall of Acre. The captain had shuttled crusaders before and looked upon them with guarded suspicion. Most he had ferried were little more than mercenaries, willing to pick a fight. The choppy seas did nothing to settle mounting tensions..

One of the battle-scarred passengers stepped in quietly as a makeshift sailor, helping to hoist lines and furl sails, quickly earning the admiration of the entire crew.

“Thanks, Lad,” Captain Corrick said, “but you needn’t feel obligated. You paid your passage in full.”

The quiet man regarded his calloused hands pensively, “Demons will make work for idle hands. I have faced more than my share of them to give them cause to seek me out.”

Attempting humor, the captain said, “I think demons would think twice about making work for you.”

"Perhaps," the crusader chuckled softly as the boatswain trilled another command on his pipe. “I have had my fill of war in God’s name. Now I seek peace, but I fear I am ill-equipped.” He added somberly, "I shall fail Him as we did in Acre."

“He will note the effort,” the captain replied earnestly as he turned his gaze towards the horizon, broken with angry waves, “or we are all lost at sea.”


16 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Is there more to this story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be I think. I like my private crusader. He intrigues me.

      Delete
  2. This could go so many directions. You really need to take it in one of them, and I would happily follow with a cup of tea, and an open afternoon in which to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the encouragement. I'll take up a path and join you in that cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  3. All of the detail here... what a well-realized world! Already I love the complexity of your character. A man who probably fought as a righteous soldier who has since become disillusioned? Who does not yet have full faith in himself as a "good" human being? Such great stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad that my crusader came across as he did. His journey is just beginning I think. Thanks again for the response.

      Delete
  4. Such detailed description. It was as if I was on deck as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've a couple of friends that served aboard the Lady Washington and they have been a wealth of knowledge.

      Delete
  5. I felt like I was right along with everyone on the ship. I would love to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm storyboarding the potential chapters. I may have something for y'all soon.

      Delete
  6. Yep. You drew me in. I want more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger isn't letting me leave a comment, so I'm leaving it in a "reply".

      This is really well done. I particularly like the conversation between the captain and the crusader. It reveals a lot about their history and characters.

      Delete
    2. thanks for the heads up on the blogger issue. I'm lousy with systems, but I'll see if I can fix it.

      And thanks for the critique. I was very pleased with the way the story played and I'm happy to know that the result was well received.

      Delete
  7. Ooh!

    I did a period piece, too, and at sea, with the name Rose in it!

    Your quiet crusader is intriguing, I like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, great minds think alike yes? I'm giving the crusader's story some serious concentration. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete