Sunday, March 11, 2012

Losing Time

The issue with unemployment: I barely know what day it is. All my weeks are blurring together. The hours of searching for a job coupled with the hours I devote to writing are taking their toll. There are still not enough hours in my day.

And I woke up today blindly playing Tetris with the green numbers on the cable-box clock to discover my day just got shorter.

Don't get me wrong, I knew Daylight Savings Time was near. I knew this because it's been a-buzzing over the interwebs. I knew this because my parents mentioned it last Sunday as I was leaving for home. I knew this because I eavesdropped on a conversation at the movie theater yesterday. I knew this because Karma hasn't an inkling of a sense of humor and she has a tendency to kick you when you fall. Repeatedly.

But I woke today, later than I wanted under normal circumstances, and now even later than I thought I was. Blarg!

As much as I admire Benjamin Franklin for his indisputable contribution to the world, every year when spring ahead springs, I find myself loosing some of that admiration. I have never been an "Early to Bed, Early to Rise" individual. Benji, I know you wanted to give farmers that extra hour to get to market, but really? This is one idea you could've kept to yourself.

That aside, I wish everyone a Happy Lose-an-hour-of-happy-hour Day!

On a separate note, please sing It's A Small World sometime today in memory of the late Robert Sherman. I will be taking a Spoonful of Sugar and seeking Just the Bare Necessities in my missing hour as I Fly a Kite in your honor. Requiescat in pace.
..._,
SK

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, Daylight Savings is terrible. My kids were fine with it, but it's completely throwing me off today. I needed an extra cup of coffee, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still drinking coffee. It'll take a few days to adjust I think. Thanks for stopping by to chat!

      Delete